Dr. R.S. Molday, Professor & Division Head
Dr. D. Albiani, Clinical Assistant Professor
Dr. J. Barton, Professor
Dr. R.M. Douglas, Associate Professor
Dr. F. Forooghian, Clinical Associate Professor
Dr. C. Y. Gregory-Evans, Professor
Dr. K. Gregory-Evans, Professor
Dr. A. Kirker, Clinical Assistant Professor
Dr. P. Ma, Clinical Professor
Dr. J.A. Matsubara, Professor
Dr. A. Merkur, Clinical Assistant Professor
Dr. O.L. Moritz, Associate Professor
Dr. M. Potter, Visiting Professor
Dr. N. Swindale, Professor
The Centre for Macular Research (CMR) is leading the way with a research program focused on macular degeneration and other diseases affecting vision. The centre’s strength lies in the expertise and accomplishments of its faculty, coupled with the university’s partnerships with the teaching hospitals. Healthcare, both locally in BC and nationally in Canada, is advanced by the Centre’s commitment to excel in basic science, translational research and clinical expertise, and towards finding a cure for blindness.
The CMR is affiliated with both the University of British Columbia (UBC) and Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute (VCHRI).
The mission of the VCHRI is to ensure that research in the health authority “leads and excels in the generation of health knowledge through discovery, education, application and evaluation”. In line with this mission, the goal of the CMR is to combine its strength in basic and translational science with the centre’s clinical expertise to lead the way towards new treatments and cures for retinal disease.
The CMR represents collaboration between faculty members of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and the Brain Research Centre at the University of British Columbia. This impressive team of basic and clinical scientists have come together to create an interdisciplinary environment to maximize scientific discovery and train the next generation of researchers and clinicians.
- The Canadian National Institute for the Blind
- The Foundation Fighting Blindness – Canada
- UBC Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- The Brain Research Center at UBC
- Postdoctoral Fellows: Postdoctoral research positions are available at the CMR. For information about currently available positions, please contact individual faculty members directly.
- Graduate Students: Graduate students are accepted by CMR members through the UBC Graduate Program in Neuroscience, as well as other UBC departments affiliated with individual CMR members. Prospective graduate students interested in vision research should contact individual CMR members directly.