Doctor of Medicine (University of British Columbia)
Residency, Ophthalmology (University of British Columbia)
Fellowship, Medical Retina (Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom)
Fellowship, Uveitis and Ocular Inflammatory Diseases (University of Washington, Seattle, WA)
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Dr Kaivon Vaezi attended medical school and Ophthalmology residency at the University of British Columbia. He was then awarded sponsorship by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada to undergo subspecialty training in Medical Retina diseases at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, United Kingdom – Europe’s oldest and largest center for ocular treatment, training and research. Following this he underwent further subspecialty training in Uveitis and Ocular Inflammatory Diseases at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington under the direction of Dr Russell Van Gelder.
Dr. Vaezi’s clinical expertise and research interests include age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vascular disorders, central serous retinopathy, advanced retinal imaging, retinal dystrophies, advanced molecular diagnostic testing, and ocular inflammatory disorders. He performs routine and complicated cataract surgery, particularly in the context of retinal diseases.
Dr Vaezi is heavily involved in the medical and surgical training of medical students and ophthalmology residents at the University of British Columbia. He is also an active instructor in the Medical and Surgical Retina Fellowship program at the University of British Columbia.
- Eslami M, Noureddin G, Pakzad-Vaezi K, Warner S, Grennan T. Resurgence of ocular syphilis in British Columbia between 2013-2016: a retrospective chart review. Can J Ophthalmol2020:55;179-84.
- Tran K, Pakzad-Vaezi K. Multimodal imaging of diabetic retinopathy. Curr Opin Ophthalmol2018;29:566-75.
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Khaksari K, Wang R, Van Gelder R, Pepple K. Swept-source optical coherence tomography angiography of serpiginous choroiditis. Ophthalmol Retina2018;2:712-9.
- Zhao Z, Faith P, Pakzad-Vaezi K, Chu Z, Wang R, Mudumbai R, Rezaei K. Paracentral Acute Middle Maculopathy in a Case of Bilateral Optic Disc Swelling. Retin Cases Brief Rep2020:14;157-62.
- Bajema K, Pakzad-Vaezi K, Pepple K, Hawn T. Tuberculous uveitis: association between clinical response and anti-tuberculous therapy. J Ophthalmic Inflamm Infect2017;7:19.
- Pepple K, Nguyen M, Pakzad-Vaezi K, Williamson K, Odell N, Lee C, Leveque T, Van Gelder R. Response of inflammatory cystoid macular edema to treatment with oral acetazolamide. Retina 2019;39:948-55.
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Pepple K. Tubulointerstitial nephritis and uveitis. Curr Opin Ophthalmol2017;28:629-35.
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Keane P, Cardoso JN, Egan C, Tufail A. Optical coherence tomography angiography of foveal hypoplasia. Br J Ophthalmol2017;101:985-8.
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Mehta H, Mammo Z, Tufail A. Vascular endothelial growth factor inhibitor use and treatment approach for choroidal neovascularization secondary to pathologic myopia. Expert Opin Biol Ther2016;16:873-81.
- Fahim AT, Simunovic MP, Mammo Z, Mitry D, Pakzad-Vaezi K, Bradley P, Mahroo O. A comparison of ophthalmic training in six English-speaking countries. Can J Ophthalmol. 2016;51:212-8.
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Levasseur SD, Schendel S, Mark S, Mathias R, Roscoe D, Holland SP. The corneal ulcer one-touch study: a simplified method for microbiological data. Am J Ophthalmol. 2015;159:37-43.
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Albiani DA, Kirker AW, Merkur AB, Kertes PJ, Eng KT, Fallah N, Forooghian F. A randomized study comparing the efficacy of bevacizumab and ranibizumab as pretreatment for pars plana vitrectomy in proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2014;45:521-4.
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Or C, Yeh S, Forooghian F. Optical coherence tomography in the diagnosis and management of uveitis. Can J Ophthalmol2014;49:18-29.
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Maberley DA. Infantile Refsum Disease in a Young Adult: Case Presentation and Brief Review. Retin Cases Brief Rep2014;8:56-9.
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Etminan M, Mikelberg FS. The Association between Cataract Surgery and Atypical Antipsychotic Use: a Nested Case-Control Study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013;156:1141-1146
- Cao S, Ko A, Partanen M, Pakzad-Vaezi K, Merkur AB, Albiani DA, Kirker AW, Wang A, Cui JZ, Forooghian F, Matsubara JA. Relationship between Systemic Cytokines and Complement Factor H Y402H Polymorphism in Patients with Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013;156:1176-83.
- Lee S, Fallah N, Forooghian F, Ko A, Pakzad-Vaezi K, Merkur A, Kirker A, Albiani D, Young M, Sarunic MV, Beg MF. Comparative Analysis of Repeatability of Manual and Automated Choroidal Thickness Measurements in Non-Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci2013;54:2864-71.
- Ko A, Cao S, Pakzad-Vaezi K, Brasher P, Merkur A, Albiani D, Kirker A, Cui J, Matsubara J, Forooghian F. Optical Coherence Tomography-Based Correlation Between Choroidal Thickness and Drusen Load in Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Retina. 2013;33:1005-10.
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Cochrane D, Sargent M, Singhal A. Conventional and diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging findings in a pediatric patient with a posterior fossa brain tumor and papilledema. Pediatr Neurosurg2009;45:414-8.
- Pakzad-Vaezi K, Singhal A. Trends in Paediatric Sport and Recreation Related Injury: An Injury Surveillance Study at British Columbia Children’s Hospital from 1992 – 2005. Paediatr Child Health2011;16:217-21.
- Holroyd CB, Pakzad-Vaezi KL, Krigolson OE. The feedback correct-related positivity: Sensitivity of the event-related brain potential to unexpected positive feedback. Psychophysiology2008;45:688-97.
- Pakzad-Vaezi KL, Krigolson OE, Holroyd CB. Underlying Unity: The Relationship Between the N200 and the Feedback ERN. Psychophysiology43 (Jul, 2006).
- Holroyd CB, Krigolson OE, Pakzad-Vaezi KL. Why We Rotate: Questioning Assumptions Underlying Spatial-Temporal PCA. Psychophysiology43 (Jul, 2006).
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Canadian Ophthalmology Society
- American Uveitis Society
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Journal Peer Reviewer:
- Ophthalmology Retina
- Ocular Immunology and Inflammation
- Journal of Ophthalmic Inflammation and Infection
- Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety journal
- Clinical Ophthalmology journal